Choosing An SEO Company
What To Look For In An SEO Company
Deciding which SEO company to use when evaluating your own optimisation needs can be a complicated process. With so many SEO companies around, it is sometimes difficult to choose the right one for your individual needs.Choosing the right SEO company is a crucial step in your website’s future success. But what should you look for, and what are some of the key issues that surround the practice of SEO?
A checklist for choosing your SEO company
Finding the perfect Search Engine Optimisation consultant is made easier by checking potential partners against the following criteria:
- Does the company aim to keep you updated with what they're doing through regular reports and meetings?
- Transparency is vital. Some companies may be doing very little for your website, and it may be months before you realise that you’ve wasted your time and money.
- Is the company already working with one of your competitors, or have they done so recently?
- As well as being a conflict of interest, working with two competing companies leads to a duplication of approach. They will apply the same techniques to your website as they have done for your competitor’s website, meaning you’ll never reach that top spot.
- Does the company outsource part or all of its work to organisations in other countries?
- Outsourcing is often done to save costs and it usually leads to poor quality work. Some UK companies merely act as fronts for organisations abroad – make sure you have an honest and open relationship with your SEO consultant.
- Is the company honest about the amount of time a successful SEO campaign takes, or are they promising immediate results?
- SEO is invariably a long-term undertaking and it will normally take at least a year before you see any improvement. Companies who say they can boost performance in a matter of months either lack the experience, or are being dishonest.
- What hat do they wear?
- Does the company’s strategy put them in the white-hat or black-hat SEO category?
- Both approaches have their disadvantages, but it is generally better to avoid the risks associated with black-hat SEO. And while white-hat techniques have a delayed pay-off, an expert optimiser will use them to get sustainable and cost-effective results.
- Does the company have years or months of SEO experience? What track record do they have of working with clients?
- Experience is vital for performing effective SEO. Knowledge of techniques and the challenges surrounding optimisation can only be gained with time. A long history of SEO and an impressive clientele go a long way to indicating the level of success you can expect from your potential partner.
- Is the company UK based? What will it mean for your relationship if they operate abroad?
- In ensuring transparency, it is vital that your consultant is easily accessible. Working with SEO companies based abroad often leads to disaster because it is difficult to keep a client updated or respond effectively to their needs.
To find out about Optillion's approach to SEO, visit our Company Ethos page or contact us on